15 Easy Steps To OHSAS 18001 Certification
Prepare a Health and Safety Policy statement – we will provide guidance and give examples for this.
Conduct a Health and Safety review of the company, its activities and related Health and Safety hazards and risks to establish the current position of the company. The review should cover:
- Defining the boundaries of the organisational scope.
- Identification of hazards and risks including routine and non-routine activities. Include all the activities of all personnel having access to the workplace and hazards that can occur outside the workplace.
QMI have Health and Safety experts on hand to guide you through this process.
Review current risk assessments in light of the review in step 2 and highlight any areas of weakness. Train staff in the preparation of Risk Assessments if required.
Identification of any legal obligations relating to the organisational scope, its risks and necessary controls.
Establish 3 or 4 Health and Safety Objectives consistent with the H & S policyand the industry risks
– These should be simple targets against which performance can be easily measured for example:
- Zero Accidents
- Deliver First Aid Training to all staff
- Deliver COSHH training to all staff
- Introduce a safe knife policy in the warehouse to reduce hand injuries
- Introduction of advanced driver training to reduce road accidents
Develop a procedure to measure and monitor the company’s Health and Safety performance on a regular basis.
You will have to establish and maintain procedures to cover:
- Identification of Health and Safety hazard and risk assessment
- Identification of applicable legal and other requirements
- Control of Records to demonstrate conformity to the requirements of the Health and Safety management system
- Communication of its Health and Safety hazards and safety management system
- Document Control
- Operational Controls
- Emergency Preparedness
- Evaluation of Compliance
- Internal Audit
- Incident Investigation
- Control of Non-Conformance, Corrective Action and Preventive Action
We will help you develop these procedures which may be in text or Flowcharted form. Should you choose Flowcharted format we will train your staff in the preparation of flowcharted procedures.
In addition to the above procedures you may choose to develop procedures for:
- Control of Sub-contractors
- Training and Competency
- Others you may consider necessary
You may also wish to develop “task” instructions for unique tasks carried out in your organisation, eg: Inspection of Ladders and control of lifting equipment, Safe Operation of Forklifts etc?
Prepare Job Descriptions for all personnel – We will advise on critical content with respect to defining Health and Safety competencies. We will also advise on Induction Training, On-the-Job Training, a Competency & Training Matrix and Annual Appraisals.
Give awareness training to all employees on Health and Safety policies and the need for Health and Safety systems and procedures. Develop a consultation process for the workers involvement in incident investigation, involvement in hazard identification and risk assessment.
Conduct Internal Audits – You will need to do these yourselves or, if required, we can do them for you. If you choose to do them yourselves we can provide the necessary accredited Internal Auditor Training.
Conduct an evaluation of Legal and Other Compliance. This can be a simple or an onerous task dependent on the size of company and the amount Health and Safety aspects related to legislation and other requirements the company subscribes to. Records of all evaluations need to be detailed and maintained.
Establish a Corrective Action System and be able to demonstrate that you are acting on any problems identified through your audits or non-conformance to systems.
Test the company’s procedure for Emergency Preparedness. Train personnel in how to respond to actual emergency situationsand carry out drills to reinforce positive responses.
Conduct Management Reviews – We will help establish a programme and list of inputs for review by management on a planned basis.
We will conduct a full “Mock Assessment” and identify any weaknesses or gaps in your system before you undergo assessment by your chosen Certification Body
Assessment by your Certification Body and award of BS OHSAS 18001 certification!