BS OHSAS 18001:2007 Foundation Course (IRCA certified)
This course is designed to provide students with a working knowledge of the BS OHSAS 18001:2007 Occupational Health and Safety Management Standard. This course is a pre-requisite before going on to either an Internal Auditor or Lead Auditor Course.
Duration: 1 day
This course aims to provide students who have an existing basic knowledge of, or experience in, Health & Safety management with an understanding of the management systems approach and the requirements of BS OHSAS 18001:2007, and to provide a basis for students who wish to go on to complete IRCA-certified SMS auditor training courses.
Learning objectives describe what students will know and be able to do by the end of the course. On completion, successful students will be able to:
- Explain the purpose and benefits of an Occupational Health & Safety Management System and the relative legislative framework relevant to an OHSAS Management System;
- Explain the specific Health & Safety management related requirements of BS OHSAS 18001:2007 in managing health and safety risks resulting from its business operations;
- Outline the concept of and approaches to OH&S risk management.
In order for students to achieve the overall learning objectives, they will need to acquire and develop specific knowledge. This is specified below as ‘enabling objectives’ and can be considered as steps to the achievement of the learning objectives stated above. Explain the purpose and benefits of an Occupational Health & Safety Management System.
- Describe the purpose of an OH&S management system in managing health risks and safety risks resulting from the business operation (i.e. the effective implementation and continual improvement of OH&S management systems, and the anticipation and prevention of circumstances that may result in occupational incidents, hazards, damage, injury or ill health);
- Explain the interrelationship between Management Responsibility, Health & Safety Policy, Health & Safety Risks for the scope of an organisation, Policy Implementation, Objective and Targets, Operational Control, Checking Performance, Management Review and Continual Improvement;
- Describe, with reference to the Plan, Do, Check, Act model (the BS OHSAS 18001 ‘elements of successful OH&S management’), the structure and scope of BS OHSAS 18001;
- Summarise relevant Health & Safety legislation and sources of legislation based
on the principles of risk assessment and self-regulation;
- Explain the terminology defined in the standard;
- Explain the specific Health & Safety management-related requirements of BS OHSAS 18001:2007;
- Describe what a Health & Safety Management Policy should contain;
- Describe the purpose and key features of a Health & Safety Risk Assessment review appropriate to the scope of the organisation and the expected outcome;
- Describe the process for identifying and keeping up to date the Health & Safety Legislation related to the identified Health & Safety Risks;
- Describe how Objectives and Targets should link to the Health & Safety Policy; Legal and Other Requirements;
- Describe how Operational Controls associated with Health & Safety Risks must meet specified conditions including operating criteria and where appropriate these are adhered to by suppliers and contractors;
- Describe the role of Emergency Plans to prevent or mitigate adverse Health & Safety impacts associated emergency situations and accidents, and that these must be practiced and performance evaluated;
- Describe methods for Legal Compliance can be periodically evaluated based on objective evidence from internal audit, etc.;
- Describe typical arrangements for Monitoring and Measurement performance of operations with significant Health & Safety risks;
- Describe the process involved in achieving Continual Improvement of Health & Safety performance including methods for corrective and preventive action.
All QMI courses involve a high level of student participation. A full set of student notes will be provided and a Certificate of Successful Completion will be awarded to students meeting the course assessment criteria.
PriceEnquire Online Now
or call us on01224 626290